Amateur Radio Web Page

GAP Titan DX Multiband Vertical Antenna

I had a GAP Titan DX antenna installed on the house for 10 years, took it down to build a garage, and replaced it recently with a new Gap Titan DX.

To say the least, I believe most vertical antennas are a compromise to begin with.  The Titan DX is probably no different.  I don't recall having so many problems tuning the antenna on the initial installation, but this time around, the tuning has been problematic.

I found help available from GAP, which I was obtaining mostly through Email.  However email would take a few days to answer (usually by Chris) every time I sent a note.  Finally I spoke with Chris, and he asked me to make several diagnostic checks.  We did determine there was a short in the attachment of the PL-259 (My soldering of the connector was flawed), I replaced the connector and continued the tuning process. Failing an understanding why some of the bands were still not within specification, Chris asked me to Email him photos of the installation.

Finally my son and I took the old antenna (I still have the old Titan DX) and we confirmed all the layout, pieces, etc. from old to new.  Didn't see anything incorrect on the new antenna. 

In a form of "giving up," I manually adjusted the length of some of the tuning rods to bring one or two of the bands back into line.  A tuning diagram can be found in the links on this page.

My experience leaves me curious if other well respected antennas shouldn't be given a try.  I wonder for example, if the Butternut HF9V shouldn't be tried with all of its own compromises.  (It does require radials)